.. By the middle of the XIX century Piazza and the adjacent turn of Commerce in Commerce and merchant center of Mariupol. Here united strength of all commercial city, is concentrated and amassed huge fortunes. In place of the former once lachuzhek with mica instead of glass appear sturdy stone houses of local merchants. From 1871 begins paving of the streets of Commerce of the means of fragments of local granite. As mentioned in the old days, the Market, “life was in full swing, as the resin in the pot.” In the last century it was one of the richest streets in trade, which seemed all sorts of merchants’ stalls and shops, restaurants and taverns. Later it became the central compete Catherine street (Lenina). And yet, long considered the center of street trading industry Luxury and Fashion in Mariupol, its trade axis.
In the early twentieth century Mariupol merchants in the city owned property worth about 4 million rubles in gold, were there and “aces” from the Market. For example, one of the owners of vast capital S. Gough Commerce had on several houses were near the house of his son, Igor Hof. Surname Balahovyh merchants on this street was already four houses, merchant Vlasov – 2. According to its location, street trading began with the Catholic church, which was erected in 1860. Nearby placed Vitlin electrophotography, which pleased the citizens with quality photographs for 5 minutes (“the transfer of all the amazing details of persons”).
The largest 2-hetazhnom house on a busy junction with Catherine was one of the manufactories and shops brothers S. A. Adabashevyh. Only one pharmacy in the street was 4. This pharmacy Shapiro, D. Parnoha, V. Gurovich, I. Balabanov. Visitors merchants could rest in hotel “Bristol”. Mogilatov merchant in his funeral bureau sold on the street. Trade coffins. Trading on the street could wander all day, visiting many shops, stores and other retail establishments. These were the stores, MP Chebanenko, wine and deli MI Kagarov, sausage and deli LI Chernomysa and K (only there a great selection of cheese, Swiss), and watch toy shop B. Holstein and many others. It only remained to drink “the most delicious and strong beer” El “brewery A. Seabury on Commerce and go home. Street trading was not foreign influence and enlightenment. “Hotbeds of enlightenment” (an expression of vowels City Council) on this street is a private real school Hyacinth, elementary school Filshtinsky and Abramovich – they grew and raised new generations of Mariupol merchants. On the street. Trade sheltered Imperial German Vice-Consulate – Consul here had their own house. Housed here and Mariupol Port Authority. And the look of the street to complement Commerce lone figure of a policeman at the intersection with Catherine’s. What a town without a policeman … This has remained in the memory of witnesses noisy and colorful shopping street before the revolution Mariupol Mariupol is a “city”. In 1920, the decision of gorkomhoza Mariupol 21 June, the “memory of the Great Revolution and the leaders of” certain streets instead of the old names have been given different names: Brand was named III-rd International. After ’71 Street III-rd International historical back name – The street. Dmitry Janata Source: Old Mariupol.